- What is flash fiction? Flash fiction is a very short narrative that contains all of the elements of a regular-length short story.
- How long is flash fiction? There is no agreed length for flash fiction but most people (editors, publishers and writers) would say that flash fiction is between 200 to 1,000 words long.
- What is the form of flash fiction? Flash fiction is made up of a beginning, a middle and an end just like any short story.
- Since flash fiction is so short, how can it contain all of the elements of a regular short story? Much of flash fiction is implied, but all the elements are still there they just are not as obvious.
- Does the very short length of flash fiction limit what a writer can write about? Not at all. A writer of flash fiction can write about anything. The writer just has to keep it short.
- Is flash fiction a legitimate art form? Well, many publications publish flash fiction and there are colleges and universities that have classes that read and teach the writing of flash fiction so I would say that makes it a legitimate art form.
- Can a writer make a living at writing flash fiction? Very few writers make a living at writing anything.
- Then what is the point of writing flash fiction? A writer writes flash fiction for the same reason that a writer writes anything: for the love of writing.
- Is there a market for flash fiction? Yes there is.
- Are any of these markets paying markets? The Pittsburgh Flash Fiction Gazette is a paying market.
Hello everyone. The Old Soldier just came back from the Carnegie Public Library (4:00 pm). It’s an overcast but mild (70) day in Pittsburgh. As usual, I ended up in the Browsing Journals Room and I browsed through a magazine on writing, a book on WW II fighter aces and a copy of Vanity Fair.
The Old Soldier use to be a big fan of “women’s magazines” like Vanity Fair, Vogue and Elle. They are considered to be magazines for women, I guess, because they cover high fashion; but, hey, the Old Soldier likes high fashion. He just can’t afford to pay for it.
Anyway, the reporting and the writing in these magazines is excellent. And the Old Soldier is still a big fan.
Read. Study. Write. Submit.
- Making The Commitment To Write Flash Fiction (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)
- A Meditation On Writing Flash Fiction (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)
- Flash Fiction Flash Fiction And More Flash Fiction (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)