Let me tell you a story. When the Old Soldier was a very young writer, he wanted to be rich and famous. It didn’t happen. But he kept writing.
When he was middle-age, he discovered flash fiction. Flash fiction got him to go back to school to get a BA in writing. Then flash fiction won him a fellowship that paid for his MFA in fiction writing. Flash fiction got him published in a local weekly, print newspaper that paid him $30 for each flash fiction story it published and it published him for over two years.
By the time the paper folded, the Old Soldier had discovered blogging and now he is the editor/publisher of the Pittsburgh Flash Fiction Gazette which is averaging over 360 hits every day and the readership of the PFFG continues to grow.
The Old Soldier is still not rich and famous. He will never be rich and famous.
But I think writing flash fiction has taken me a long way and the journey is not over yet.
Hello, everyone from all over the world!
This is my third post for the day and it’s not even 4:00 pm. The sun is trying to break through on this chilly day in the City of Champions. The Old Soldier got himself a six-pack of Old Milwaukee beer and he is going to take up his favorite position, on the sofa with two fat pillows under his weary head, and he is going to drink beer and read his book about the Negro Baseball Leagues. Retirement is good.
Keep reading and keep writing that flash fiction.
Read. Study. Write. Submit.
- The Joy Of Writing Flash Fiction (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)
- Download Your Copy Of The eBook In Minutes (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)
- Flash Fiction Flash Fiction And More Flash Fiction (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)
- A Magazine Full Of Great Tips On Writing Flash Fiction (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)
- Making The Commitment To Write Flash Fiction (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)
- A Free Course In How To Write Flash Fiction (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)
- A Meditation On Writing Flash Fiction (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)
Filed under: Commentaries | Tagged: BA, City of Champions, download the eBook, fiction writing, MFA, middle age, Pittsburgh Flash Fiction Gazette, submit, Writing Flash Fiction, young writer | 7 Comments »