The Old Soldier has been blogging for at least seven years. And I’ve been publishing the Pittsburgh Flash Fiction Gazette for about four years. I made a lot of mistakes with my first three or four blogs; but those first three or four blogs taught me a lot about blogging. The Pittsburgh Flash Fiction Gazette gets over 300 hits every day and I hope that by the end of this year it will get over 400 hits every day. Here are the three most important things that I have learned about blogging.
- Blog for your readers and not for yourself.
- Offer your readers entertainment, useful information/insights, a useful service or all three.
- Publish often and on a regular schedule whether that schedule is every day or every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Just be consistent, but publish often.
So, bloggers, flash fiction readers and writers are the core audience of this blog and that’s who I blog for.
The fiction and the Woman As Art series on this blog are at the core of the entertainment; while the articles and commentaries are meant to be informative and insightful and the fact that this blog is a paying market for fiction, non-fiction and poetry is the useful service that it offers. And the Old Soldier publishes at least one post every day.
The mainstream media has reported that Moody’s Investors Service recently downgraded the credit ratings of three major US banks that do business around the world. The Old Soldier is working-class and retired; but so are millions of other Americans and this constant stream of bad financial news makes me uneasy. On Thursday the American stock exchange loss 251 points, the second worse drop this year.
The new Greek government wants to stay in the Euro Zone, but it also wants to renegotiate the terms of the austerity package that it has already agreed to for its banks to get more money from the Euro Zone. While Spain has asked for a bailout of its banking system, too.
None of these things can be good for Main Street America.
Hello hello hello, fans of the Pittsburgh Flash Fiction Gazette from all over the world: North and South America, Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia! You know who you are. The blogging day has begun. It’s only going to be around 80 degrees in Pittsburgh today with the possibility of some rain showers.
It’s Friday, but no karaoke tonight. The Old Soldier went to karaoke three times this month and now he has to wait for next month to replenish his karaoke funds.
Just keep reading and keep writing that flash fiction.
Read. Study. Write. Submit.
Click the follow button. This online magazine is free for your reading pleasure.
- The Pittsburgh Flash Fiction Gazette Needs Your Support (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)
- Creative Writing: Pornography As Art (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)
- 4 Naked Women And The Pittsburgh Flash Fiction Gazette (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)
- 10 Great Tips For A Better Blog Today (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)
- Build A Better Blog One Post At A Time (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)
Filed under: Blogging | Tagged: bloggers, Blogs, Euro-Zone, Europe, Main Street America, Moody's Investors Service, Pittsburgh Flash Fiction Gazette, tips to better blogging, woman as art, working-class and retired | 2 Comments »